In less than 24-hours, the bacchanal begins on the lakeshore. All week we’ve been listening to the latest in soca music, practicing our moves in the mirror and working out like a mad man to look hot in our costume. The anticipated weather forecast for the Grande Parade is a lovely 22 degrees Celsius, with no rain – what more could we ask for.
As I prepare to touch de road tomorrow, I have a few tips to share with my fellow masqueraders – old and new.
- Drink water – Stay hydrated! Although the weather will be balmy and cool, walking down the lakeshore for four to five hours in the sun requires constant hydration. There have been far too many years where I witness masqueraders being treated for heatstroke – and there’s no fun in that.
- Bring some cash! Most bands feed their masqueraders but after the long trek down the lakeshore, your likely to work up an appetite, and with all the great vendors – jerk chicken or roast corn anyone – you won’t be able to resist.
- Adorn Yourself! One of my favourite things to do is to spice up my costume with more feathers, more sparkles and more bling! Visit your local dollar store or crafts store and pick up some body glitter and sparkles to enhance your costume – you won’t regret it!
- Wear Comfy Shoes. This should be a no brainer, but the amount of people I have seen wearing flip flops to play mas, I just have to shake my head. By the time they cross the stage – shoes gone or busted. Don’t say I didn’t warn you!
- Enjoy Yourself! Carnival and playing mas is a time to let go of all your inhibitions and just have fun! Wuk up on a stranger, bubble on a friend – but whatever you do, make sure its all in the name of fun and enjoying yourself!
Have a great time of the road tomorrow, and enjoy Toronto Carnival 2013! If your still looking for tickets to events, check out caribanatoronto.com!
See you on the road!